Friday, January 6, 2012

Update....

For my weekly rant and banter on fishing check out the Idylwilde blog Nor Cal Report at http://idylwilde.com/wordpress/ along with other very informative posts...

Also I will be speaking at the Jan 12 Granite Bay Fly Casters Meeting (this coming thurs.). I will be giving my presentation titled "Trout Flies: From Imitation to Creation" where I talk about my simplified idea of understanding the 3 basic insect hatches (caddis, mayflies, stoneflies) and how I use that knowledge to create flies. Pretty practical and useful knowledge for any trout fly fishermen or fly tier. Meeting starts at 7pm and anyone interested can check out there website for directions or more details. http://www.gbflycasters.org

In reports...Not much is going on. I feel like I live in Phoenix AZ day time highs have been in the mid to high 60's, no rain for weeks, I have been having to water my lawn in the first week of Jan, and the rivers as low and clear as August. Scary. The Lower Yuba has been fishing good but it really needs some rain to move fish around and get rid of the low and gin clear conditions that can turn fish off on any given day. I had 3 days out there last week and we had good days, not great but good.

The Deeler and I fished Butte Creek twice this week as well and it is LOW and GIN CLEAR. It hasn't been above 300cfs all year and is sitting at 130cfs right now. I don't think you could even get a pontoon boat down it right now let alone a raft. While we managed some trout and what seemed to be a half pounder or two the fishing was slow as we had to cover a ton of water to scratch out a few fish.

Other then that just been tying some flies and enjoying some time off. Keep rain dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment