Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lower Sac Report


I was lucky enough to be asked to film an episode of “Fly Fishing the World with Conway Bowman”, a great TV show on the sportsman channel. I have known Conway for 6 or 7 years and I have worked with Justin Karnopp the producer of the show on other shows and with Idylwilde as he is also a contract tier for Idylwilde. We scheduled the filming of the show for this last weekend on the Lower Sac. They wanted to hit the spring caddis hatch.

Filming a TV show is always a stressful event for me as the pressure is on to put the fish on film. Luckily we had no problem with this as fishing has been lights out great on the Sac lately and Conway is a phenomenal angler. Coming from a salt background to trout fishing is a big change. Hook sets while fishing indicators, fighting trout, and all the line management of getting a dead drift is different. Conway had it all down though as he grew up fishing trout in Idaho and still does a bunch of trout fishing in the Mammoth area. What I found amazing was the shear focus he had, I think this comes from a salt background and just knowing that to make the show work he has to seal the deal on each opportunity. All that said by lunch of the first day we had put more then enough fish in the net for the show, but we kept fishing hard for the rest of the day and next.

We floated from Anderson to Balls Ferry the first day and Aqua Golf to Anderson the second. Bonnieview to Anderson seems to be the most crowded float but also seems to be cranking out the biggest fish. We hooked great fish both days but the bigger fish did seem to be on the Aqua Golf to Anderson float. Both days the top bugs were Jimmy Leggs, a new march brown nymph I am working on, and the S&M PMD. A few fish ate sucker eggs but not enough to say it was a hot bug. Fish seemed to be spread out in all types of bug water eating may fly nymphs in the flats and slower runs and Jimmy Leggs in the faster riffles. I tried like hell to get the fish to eat caddis but mayflies seemed to be much more to their liking this weekend.



Sports Report
I am loving the tournament. My bracket is in shambles even though I did pick a few of the upsets. I picked Harvard and Oregon, but no way did I have LaSalle and Florida Gulf Coast in the Sweet 16. I am pretty excited for this weekends games as any time under dogs make a run for it.

GIANTS open up the season this Monday April 1 in Los Angles and I would love nothing more then to take it to the Dodgers in LA for the opener. We have some serious questions though with the latest injury’s to Pablo and the question mark at Second base…I am sure Boch will put something together though.

Fermented Beverage and BBQ Report
It is transition time right now…I finished off some scotch this last few weeks that had been hanging around and I still have a really nice bottle yet to crack but I may hold off on it as the weather is heating up and it is feeling like Margarita time. Beer wise I have been straight domestics lately. Budweiser. Just seems natural as baseball is starting and I have been grilling some serious Carne Asada I have been getting from a local carniceria, El Torro Loco. Stuff is amazing and dirt cheap. I got a 6 pack of bud, enough carne asada to feed my whole family and have left overs, chips, and fresh salsa verde for $17. Awesome. So, I am thinking this weekend may be the first margarita weekend at my house as I am also planning to put in my garden. Also I may get the first 12er of bud light lime this weekend as that is a great warm weather session beer.

UPCOMING
There are a few reports of stripers lower in the Feather and Sac. I will be getting out over the next few days to see what I can find. Also there are reports of spring steelhead in the Feather, but I think some warmer weather is needed to get these fish going. Lots of great spring and summer fishing on its way here are a list of open dates over the next few months.

May 11, 25, 26, 27
June 10, 12-14, 17, 23-29
July 1-3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16-27, 30, 31

*Evening Shad dates available all of the above plus these mid week dates: May 21-24, 28, 30 June 3-6

No comments:

Post a Comment